Friends of "doting" Geismar mom raise more than $100,000 | Community Spirit
Friends of Amber Roussel, 31, of Geismar have raised more than $100,000 to help her family.
Roussel, 31, was a "doting" mother to her two small children --Emmie, 3, and Ryan,1-- according to her friends. She was killed in an automobile accident in Beaumont, Texas in July.
The friends who are part of an extended virtual community of young mothers and fans of an online clothing store called Matilda Jane created an online fundraising campaign and auction.
"Our total now sits at about $112,500 though we are still getting donations for auction items," says Carrie Plummer, one of the organizers of the fundraising effort. "We are amazed and absolutely grateful to each and every person that played a role—big or small—in making such a difference for the Roussel family."
Roussel's husband, Ryan, whose father is St. James Parish President Timmy Roussel, says the outpouring of love is very touching.
"My wife was the absolute best person I ever met and this just shows me she had an impact on all these people across the country and she was very loved," Ryan says. "It touches my heart beyond belief."
Upcoming Events near Ascension - Assumption
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators: Boater dies after hitting unknown object
- Livingston Parish Council approves budget without millions of road overlay funds
- 81 charges of fraud, theft filed against man contracted for Gustav cleanup
- Homicide investigators file new charges against sex offender
- Road fund serves as key component to Livingston Parish budget